Charitable Giving Strategies for the Business Owner
Closely Held Stock
If you hold stock in a closely held business, you may be able to use that stock as a powerful way to support veteran's future.
Closely held stock* is most often used to support veterans and their families in the form of an outright gift. You can make a gift of closely held stock as long as the constituting documentation for the business permits additional owners and it is debt-free. The donation of closely held stock first requires you to value the interest in the business entity.
Review this checklist to see if you may benefit from donating closely held stock. Then, consult your professional legal and tax advisors to see how to maximize the benefits of this tax-efficient strategy for making a difference.
- You are a majority shareholder in a closely held corporation.
- You would like to remove retained earnings from the corporation, without having them taxed again.
- You would like to maintain a controlling position in the corporation's outstanding stock.
- You would like to avoid capital gains taxes on the shares you donate to the VFW.
- You would like to receive a federal income tax deduction for the full appraised value of the gift.
- You would like to support the VFW.
Click on the links below to see the additional ways to fund your gift with closely held stock:
- A gift in your will or living trust.
- A charitable gift annuity.
- A charitable remainder trust.
- A charitable lead trust.
* A gift of closely held stock requires special handling, so you should always consult with your legal or tax advisor first.
Begin Planning TodayDownload Our Guide
You Can Be a VFW HeroLearn More
Get Started With These Easy StepsGet My Next Steps
- Contact Chrissy Mason at 816.968.1119 or email@example.com for additional information on giving a gift of closely held stock.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include the VFW in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States
Address: 406 West 34th Street, Kansas City, MO 64111
Federal Tax ID Number: 44-0474290